Since 1863, five generations of Hayman’s family, have acted as custodians of the True English Gin style – providing an unbroken lineage dating back to the original gin boom. Throughout this 150 years, Hayman’s uses family techniques and processes handed down through the generations.
Hayman’s London Dry Gin is distilled at the distillery in Witham, located 65 kilometers east of London. The original company of Hayman Distillers was founded in 1820 and acquired in 1863 by James Burrough, the great grandfather of the current Chairman, Christopher Hayman. All of the Hayman’s gins created are now made in a traditional 450-liter capacity copper pot still, called Marjorie, named in memory of Christopher’s mother, along with two other, same sized coppers stills. All gins are being made using a multi-shot distilling method. Hayman’s London Dry Gin is distilled to a family recipe using a blend of 10 botanicals (juniper berries, coriander, lemon peel, orange peel, angelica, cinnamon, cassia bark, iris, licorice and nutmeg), which are steeped into the alcohol for 24 hours. Hayman’s Gin’s story counts over 150 years and about 30 countries where the brand is being exported. In Greece, Hayman’s brand is being imported by Sky Spirits and there are 5 different gin products out at the market:
- HAYMAN’S LONDON DRY: A classic, traditional, juniper driven London Dry Gin. Uniquely suited to the classic cocktails of the 19th and early 20th Century that were built around the style, recommended in a refreshing G&T or a fortifying classic martini.
- HAYMAN’S OLD TOM GIN: Sweet & thick mouthfeel, probably because of the liquorice root and the addition of sugar. Recommended for a classic Martinez cocktail, a refreshing Tom Collins or a rich and full-flavoured Old Tom & Tonic.
- HAYMAN’S GENTLY RESTED: Used to be known as the “Family Reserve”, it is made to reflect the style sold in London’s ornate Gin Palaces in the 1800s. The gin is rested in old Scotch Whisky barrels for just three weeks.
- HAYMAN’S ROYAL DOCK: First supplied to the English Admiralty in 1863, this is a bright and bracing but not at all overpowering with a brilliant balance of juniper, coriander and citrus and a softly nuanced mouthfeel. Bottled at a traditional Navy Strength of 57% ABV.
- HAYMAN’S SLOE GIN: A True English Sloe Gin defined by its balance. Not too sweet, not too tart, created by gently steeping wild harvested English Sloe berries in the classically balanced English Gin for three to four months following an old family recipe. Pairs perfectly with sparkling wine to create a refreshing summer serve. Bottled at 26% ABV.
All of the Hayman’s gins created are now made in a traditional 450-liter capacity copper pot still